Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Featured Designer: The Ottenhening Sisters


Dance4Liberation presents La Vie. A Fashion show that will take Raleigh by storm and it is headed by the most amazing talent Raleigh, Wilmington and Asheville has to offer. Our first featured designer is actually TWO designers, Stephanie and Monika, and they made it clear they are not just two good (identical) looking faces.

These girls, young women, ladies... whatever you like, are amazingly inspirational.

What were you doing in high school?
I know I was sitting on my bum trying hard to keep up my A's with the most minimal effort, begging my mom to sign yet another "doctors" note so I could get my hair done and forging one too many hall passes. I certainly was not thinking hard about the environment by recycling old vintage, thrift store finds into fun, one-of-a-kind masterpieces or starting my own clothing line. Maybe I was just a slacker?

Don't get me wrong. These girls have boys chasing after them (I'm sure, see picture above..) and worry about make-up, prom, clothes... everything I worried about in high school. But they do it with the maturity I don't see in most of the friends I have my age (...older) and with the drive and promise that comes with decades of more experience. They are, of course, giddy and excited with the new attention (this is their first line) and I HOPE they are rubbing it in the faces of their friends who, like I was in high school, are sitting on their butts.

Anyways, enough gushing. The girls, who graduate HIGH SCHOOL June 11th, will showcase their fabulous designs June 3rd, 2011 at Dance4Liberation's La Vie: A Fashion Show. A pre-party for their graduation, maybe? This will be their second show. We saw their first one and literally chased them off the runway to make them sign up for ours, that good.

They started sewing as sophomores (in high school, keep in mind) and just can't keep the fans away so they decided to start selling their gems on Ebsy, then enter as designers in a fashion show and then take over the world. Only kidding, no, but really....

They are a dynamic duo that will be tragically separated come college, Utah and Idaho... traditional Mormon schools.
Oh yeah, young, talented, driven, attractive TWINS. Ridiculous. They are, however, SO NORMAL. I was on three way call with them and they bickered like I would imagine any sisters would.
"Well, she is more boyish. Like, wears boy like shoes and only one hair style"
"NO! Well, I am more boyish... but she is soo girly. Like, accesorizes EVERYTHING!"

So, keep a close eye on what Zooey Deschanel will be rocking because if these sisters have anything to do with it, she will be wearing Amabella Vintage. BUY their VERY reasonably priced items on Ebsy HERE. And come see their designs strutting down the runway June 3rd, 2011 at the amazing bar, White Collar Crime, in Raleigh.

BUY YOUR TICKETS AT DAPPER OR AT THE DOOR. Stay Fabulous.
Much Love,
Mackenzie D4L


1 comment:

  1. The Twins are such amazing designers! I certainly hope to see their clothing line spreading around the world.

    ReplyDelete